(Student Acceptable Use Policy)
1. The use of the network is a privilege which may be revoked by the District at any time for just cause. Appropriate reasons for revoking privileges include, but are not limited to, the altering of system software or the placing of unauthorized information, computer viruses or harmful programs on or though the computer system in either public or private files or messages. The District reserves the right to remove files, limit or deny access and refer the staff member for other disciplinary actions.
2. The District reserves all rights to any material stored in files which are generally accessible to others and will remove any material which the District, at its discretion, believes may be unlawful, obscene, pornographic, abusive or otherwise objectionable A staff member will not use his/her District-approved computer account/access to obtain, view, download or otherwise gain access to such materials.
3. All information services and features contained on District or network resources are intended for the private use of its registered users and any use of these resources for commercial-for-profit or other unauthorized purposes (i.e. advertisements, political lobbying), in any form, is expressly forbidden.
4. The District and/or network resources are intended for the exclusive use by their registered users. The staff member is responsible for the use of his/her account/password and/or access privilege. Any problems which arise from the use of a staff member’s account are the responsibility of the account holder. Use of an account by someone other than the registered account holder is forbidden and may be grounds for loss of access privileges.
5. Any misuse of the account will result in suspension of the account privileges and/or other disciplinary action determined by the District. Misuse shall include, but not be limited to:
A. intentionally seeking information on, obtaining copies of or modifying files, other data or passwords belonging to other users;
B. misrepresenting other users on the network;
C. disrupting the operation of the network through abuse of the hardware or software;
D. malicious use of the network through hate mail, harassment, profanity, vulgar statements or discriminatory remarks;
E. interfering with others use of the Network;
F. extensive use for noncurriculum-related communication;
G. illegal installation of copyrighted software;
H. unauthorized down-sizing, copying or use of licensed or copyrighted software or
I. allowing anyone to use an account other than the account holder.
6. The use of District and/or network resources are for the purpose of (in order of priority):
A. support of the academic program;
C. general information and
7. The District and/or network does not warrant that the functions of the system will meet any specific requirements the user may have, or that it will be error free or uninterrupted; nor shall it be liable for any direct or indirect, incidental or consequential damages (including lost data, information or time) sustained or incurred in connection with the use, operation or inability to use the system.
8. The staff member will diligently delete old mail messages on a regular basis from the personal mail directory to avoid excessive use of the electronic mail disk space.
9. The District and/or network will periodically make determinations on whether specific uses of the network are consistent with the acceptable use practice The District and/or network reserves the right to log Internet use and to monitor electronic mail space utilization by users. (Staff will be given updates on acceptable use determinations. Any decisions made regarding proper and/or improper use will be distributed to the staff.)
10. The staff member may transfer files from information services and electronic bulletin board services. For each file received through a file transfer, the staff member agrees to check the file with virus-detection program before opening the file for use.
11. The District reserves the right to log computer use and to monitor fileserver space utilization by users. The District reserves the right to remove a user account on the network to prevent further unauthorized activity. (Prior to removal of a user account, the affected staff member will be given notice and an opportunity to respond.)
[Adoption date: May 19, 1998]
[Re-adoption date: September 1, 1998]
[Re-adoption date: December 7, 1999]
[Re-adoption date: August 21, 2001]
[Re-adoption date: September 3, 2002]
[Re-adoption date: February 21, 2006]
LEGAL REFS.: U.S. Const. Art. I, Section 8
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act; 20 USC 1232g et seq.
Children’s Internet Protection Act; (P.L. 106-554, HR 4577, 2000,
114 Stat 2763)
ORC 1329.54 through 1329.67
CROSS REFS.: AC, Nondiscrimination
ACA, Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Sex
ACAA, Sexual Harassment
IB, Academic Freedom
IIA, Instructional Materials
JFC, Student Conduct (Zero Tolerance)